A clean home is a happy home. After a long day at work, it wouldn’t be nice to go home to an untidy zone filled with dust and dirt. To keep your home clean and relaxing, you would need the right cleaning equipment including a trusty canister vacuum cleaner. You definitely can’t go wrong with this reliable cleaning tool.
Whether you broke and have to replace your old canister vacuum or you are yet to buy your first one, here’s your guide to choosing the right brands for your needs. Pay attention to the selection process to make the most of your investment. You definitely would want to go for the product that stands the test of time without breaking the bank.
Why Choose Canister Vacuum Cleaner?
When it comes to cleaning function and performance, canister vacuums are pretty much similar to the traditional upright type. However, canister vacuum cleaners offer better performance, especially for upholstered furniture and bare floors. Some of its extra perks are the following:
Why Choose Canister Vacuum Cleaner
• Quieter than the typical sticks and uprights
• Can better reach hard-to-access areas like under pieces of furniture
• Easier to use particularly on stairs due to the separated canister
• Great performance for cleaning upholstered furniture and drapery
• Better mobility as compared to traditional devices as it’s easier to carry around
• Better cleaning performance on hardwood and bare floors
• Many canister vacuum models have a retractable power cord for easier storage
• Some units have multiple vacuum heads and other specialized tools
Canister models have added benefits, and when shopping for your new cleaning buddy, weigh the pros and cons and choose one that best suits your needs and budget.
How to Choose the Right Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Here’s your quick guide to choosing the right canister vacuum cleaner that suits you best:
Before anything else, you have to set your budget—the maximum amount you’re willing to shell out for your new cleaning device. Before you start looking at models online, decide on your price range and stick to it.
Like with any other appliances, the more expensive ones are viewed to be the premium ones. However, there actually are models that offer reasonable rates while not compromising the quality. The usual cost of good canister cleaners ranges from $100 to $400. Consider your purchase a long-term investment and try to choose one that is durable enough to last many years.
Everybody wants an efficient vacuum cleaner, something that doesn’t have to pass many times in the same area just to thoroughly clean the spot. The initial indication of its suction strength is the engine power measured in Watts. The usual wattage range is 1200 W to 2000 W. Generally, the higher the engine power, the more suction as you clean. A better indication of good performance is the flow and depression rate. The depression rate signals the machine’s ability to create a vacuum and the flow rate indicates whether it’s great for cleaning hard floors or not.
If you or your family member has asthma or is allergic, choose a vacuum cleaner with HEPA filter. HEPA stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air. This ensures that small dust particles that cause allergies don’t get sent back into space.
• Easy handling
You would want a canister vacuum cleaner that’s easy to handle to avoid easily getting tired and unwanted back pains.
To ensure you’re going for an easy-to-handle canister vacuum, consider the following:
• Go for large wheels especially if your carpets are thick. Smaller wheels can get easily stuck by some power cords or other obstacles.
• Go for a lighter canister cleaner as heavier ones may be harder to drag around. Something from 6 to 16 pounds would be great.
• Choose one that has a carrying handle.
• The longer the power cord, the better for you to clean thoroughly without having to switch plugs a lot. Choose one with a power cord of 20 feet minimum.
• It’s ideal to choose a model with a protective rubber casing to minimize damages to the machine and to the walls and furniture as well while doing the cleaning work.
• Go for a telescopic wand to adjust it to the user’s height.
• If your space is small, choose a smaller vacuum for easier storage.
• Finally, the controls should be easy to use and easy to reach. Some controls can even be used with the user’s feet.
• Noise level
It’s always preferable to choose a silent vacuum cleaner. The noise level is expressed in dB or decibels. The higher the dB, the noisier the machine. Avoid something with more than 85 dB.
• Durability and warranty
The longer the years of warranty, the better. It’s a signal of promise in terms of durability, so as much as possible, pay attention to this aspect.
Review 5 Products
1. Miele Complete C2 Hard Floor Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Miele has been up and running since 1899. They have been in the industry for over a century, so they definitely know what they’re doing. With years and years of striving to perfect their product, I must say they did a great job. Miele products have always been one of the favorites among households, and this particular Miele Canister Vacuum model is a great addition to your home. It’s packed with different features that offer convenience, performance, and value. It’s 18.75 pounds and comes in a cool Tech Blue color. Let’s get down to its pros and cons:
• Powerful- With its 1200 Watt Motor, it can definitely do the cleaning job well.
• Variable Speed Control – This is such a great feature that makes it worth the price. It has 6 different speeds which enable you to use the perfect suction for rugs, drapes, bare floors, etc.
• Maneuverable – It has an ergonomic hose and telescopic wands plus a Crevice Tool, Dusting Brush, and Upholstery Tool
• Durable- Its hose is crush-proof, and its wands are made of stainless steel.
• Comes with Added Accessories- The package comes with Miele SBB400-3 Parquet Twister XL Floor Brush which nicely goes flat under the baseboards, tights up against kick hams and chair legs, and gets low under furniture. Its floor brush has a wide head which makes cleaning extra faster.
• The average lifespan is 20 years.
• Wheels are a bit too small
• Relatively expensive
2. Bissell Zing Canister, 2156A Bagless Vacuum Green
Bissell is in the business since 1876—another classic brand to go for. If you want something compact and lightweight, this is a great option. It’s 7.5 pounds, making it light to use and easy to store. Despite its small size, it’s actually a powerful vacuum that deals with mess thoroughly. The powerful and continuous suction it yields is all thanks to its cyclonic technology. Its compact design and swivel steering also make cleaning convenient as you can easily and effortlessly maneuver between rooms and around furniture. It also features this empty dirt cup which enables clean bottom-tank emptying for a much cleaner job.
• Comes with handy accessories—including easy empty dirt cup, crevice tool, multi-surface floor tool, dusting brush, air flow regulator, and automatic cord rewind.
• An Easy switch—Go from cleaning hard floors to carpets with a flip of its switch.
• A Retractable cord of 15 feet
• Extremely lightweight and compact perfect for smaller households
• Not too loud- You can clean away without too much noise.
• Really affordable- Does the job well while keeping the cost reasonable
• The filters are washable
• The dust canister is large enough
• Automatic power cord rewind makes it all the more convenient
• Its telescoping hose extenders as well as the floor tools don’t click into each other or lock properly
• The Power cord is kind of short
• Not particularly great on pet hair
3. Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Canister Vacuum
Another brand operating in more than 100 years. Hoover’s strength is on designing easy-to-use products with a simple design and great features. This is another lightweight entry to this list. Yet, it can clean from tight to large spaces with its great features. Its power cord is pretty long at 33 inches.
It has this built-in blower that helps you clean hard-to-reach surfaces like upholsteries and draperies. You can also easily alternate between cleaning jobs as you can use both paper dust bag and reusable commercial cloth bag. You can use the cloth bag for sharper objects and paper bug for cleaning up the dust. Its motor power is at 7.4 Amps.
• Cloth and paper bag options
• Built-in blower for more cleaning versatility
• Can thoroughly clean even the tight spaces
• Better maneuverability and less fatigue with its lightweight design
• Covers more area without having to pass multiple times
• Convenient controls for turning the device on and off
• Comes with a metal wand
• The cord is extra-long at 33 inches
• Can work bagged or bagless
• Power is not the strongest in the market
• You need to buy tool storage separately
• Small bag capacity
4. Kenmore Canister Vacuum Cleaner, Progressive, Blueberry 21614
Adding to this list of proven and trusted brands, Kenmore is another company offering trusted home innovations for over a century as well. They offer a wide range of home products to make people’s lives easier and more convenient. This model is perfect for those who have pets at home as it does really well in cleaning pet hair from the furniture with its Pet PowerMate& Pet Upholstery Tool. It also makes cleaning easier with its telescopic wand and exclusive stair grip that makes the vacuum rest on the staircase for easier stairs cleaning. It’s also perfect for those with allergies because it boasts of its HEPA filtration that promotes cleaner exhaust air.
• Can clean carpet and upholstery really well
• Adjustable suction which is handy when cleaning small area rugs
• Multiple attachments
• HEPA filtration system
• Stair Grip feature
• Crossover Handle for storing crevice tool and dusting brush
• Convenient telescopic wand
• Bare floor suction is a bit weak
• Design is a bit clunky
5. OventeBagless Canister Vacuum
The Oventer brand is the newest player among the brands on this list. It was established in 1999. In its two decades in the industry, they were able to manage to attract lots of customers mainly because of its affordability and value. It’s one of the cheapest options on this list, perfect for those who are on a budget yet still need a decent canister vacuum for their household.
This model is small yet powerful at 1200 watts. It makes use of nonstop suction that picks up most debris fast and easy. It also comes with multiple attachments for easier cleaning.
• Easy to use- It has a crush-proof hose and 360-degree hose swivel
• Lightweight design at 12 pounds
• Convenient with automatic cable rewinder, adjustable telescoping wand, and easy-to-clean dust compartment
• Hepa filter technology for those with allergies and asthma
• Has multiple accessories that make it all more worthwhile
• Pretty durable—made of stainless steel and heavy-duty plastic
• Bagless design with translucent dust compartment
• The canister is sometimes hard to open and empty
• You need to clean its filters every time you use it
The best product always depends on your needs and budget. If you are on a tight budget and want a decent product to use, OventeBagless Canister Vacuum is great, but if you have the budget and want a long-term investment that lasts, the Miele model is highly recommended for its power, durability, Variable Speed Control, and multiple accessories. The bottom line is to pay attention to the features of each product and go for the one which holds the exact features you need. It’s simply all about choosing the right product that covers your personal preferences and budget.
Don’t take the selection process lightly. You only buy canister vacuum cleaners once in a while, and so it makes more sense to just choose the best which could actually stand the test of time.